Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Idiot Wind

My relationship with Easter Seals which started in the 1980's when I was a student in there special needs preschool has come to a end. I wish I could say it was a mutal decison, but it wasn't, I was asked to leave. It had to do with my buddy Alex I have talked about in previous blogs. Alex demonstares some Austisic charistics that doesn't necessary nean he has Austism it just means you have to keep a eye on him. Well, last Wednesday I was volunteering in Alex's class, he was having a really bad day. He was really unfocused and acting out. At the end day Alex started to bang his head into a wooden cubbie. After the kids had left I talked to his teacher and expressed my concerned. She just blew me off, she told me Alex came to Easter Seals for a language delay and now that was fixed. now he was typical. That he was head banging for attention.
Now I've been working with kids for a while now and typical kids don't head bang for any reason. Especially when they never been expoused to that behavior and Alex hasn't. None of the other kids in his class head bang. believe me I know that class like the back of my hand. It not like I'm freaking like I've never seen this stuff abefore at the county I got a steady diet of self injury and when I was sick I cut the hell out of myself.

So I took my concerns to a survisor, she basiclly what the teacher said. I wasn't satisfide, but I was going to let it go. But the teacher found out I went to the supvisor and was outraged. To make a long story short she made a big stink and got me tossed out of Easter Seals. They say I over stepped my bounds as a volunteer. I'm not just a a volunteer, I have a degree in special ed and been around the disabled since i was born. Plus I interen there a couple year ago. The big loser in this fiasco is Alex even if there nothing wrong with him there is enough there to warrant more evelation, better error in the side of caution. But nothing will be done because the teacher is too stubborn to admit she might be wrong.


I am hurt and sadden by this exprience. I throught this teacher was my friend and Easter Seals saw me as a person not just a piece of meat. I was wrong on both accounts But I'll move on, I have there people out there that need my help. People like Alex, who unfortunly I will prolly never see again. I wish him all the best. And who knows our paths migth cross one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment