Friday, April 17, 2009

Good news and random musing

Got some good news today, about year ago I was dinosed with a condition called barrett's eshgus, it is caused by stomach juices washing back into your eshgus, if it goes untreated it can turned into esgus cancer. The doctors took a sample of my enhgus to biopchecis this week, I got the results today and the Barrett's have recessed, it's weaker now then anytime we been montioring it. Things are so good the doctor doesn't want another biotphecis in the next three years.

I heard about a student I worked with during my YATC days. He has a job working with the disabled. He's helping one his clients with reading skills and doing lots other good stuff. He even has hot little honey at home. I'm so pround of him and I'm proud of myself for helping get to the point he is. I worked hard on that and it was my pleasure because he's such a great guy. I was always considered the problem child of YATC , well the other student I was a mentortoo is now taking classing at the community college, so I guess I wasn't too bad.

I remmber a while ago a sat a lunch table in a lunch room, there was a group 6 0r 7 of us that sat together everyd ay. All of us were disabled in someway some were blind, some had Cerebral Palsy, some mentally disabled. I remember the one guy that sat there Micheal confided that his girlfriend had left him ad he believed it because he was blind. I had recently started having seizures and not started to accept it. My relationship with the special ed department at OSU would start to come undone during that time too. This would all it all it me harder then my head hit the work bench in Mr. Geyer's workshop during one of my seizures. My point is everyone at that table had problem and dreams. For time out of day we put that stuff away and talked joked and ate. Disability was the common bond we shared. Micheal once pointed out that we all had names out of the bible. Since then we have all move on to the next phase in our lives. I remember this curly haired kid who use sit across from me at that table the one in the wheelchair and arm braces. I'll pathes will cross again my gut tells me that.

One of the neat things about special ed is get to meet some neat people. One such personI've met is Lauri. Lauri has always reminded me of my mom, she about her age, she a very kind and gentle person. She's kind of a old hippie type, I saw her at comfest last year. When I was doing field work in Lauri's building, she would always stop me in the hall and ask me how I was and how my day was going. This was during when I early in my seizures days so it helped to see a friendly face. There is an adventous side to Lauri, she works with students with visual impairments, she has taken them on a trip to Washington DC and a White Water Raffing trip. Let say I have a fear of water, been that way since I was a kid. Lauri has a son with CP, I've worked with him a little bit, he a great kid with a great furture a ahead of him. I hear thru the grapevine Lauri's building is adding a special needs preschool program. I would love to teach there after I get my preschool lincense and I know her prinipal likes me from previous work there. I was always a warm and homey place, I enjoyed my time there.

Those reading this in the education know you to close to certain students. You care about all you student some are extra special for some reason. This far in my career ive moved around alot but every place ive went there been at least one student that was extra special. I remember when was at the county school there was this kid named Travis, he had CP, Autism, and profound MR. He had not had a easy live. His mom was into achol and drugs and his dad was a deadbeat, Travis ended up in foster care. Travis didn't interact with people that much, but I could get him to interact with me. I use to design sensory activies for him, he really had a ball with them. While I only got to work with Travis for limited time I would like to think I brought some happiness in to his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment